9.03.2006

A true New England moment ...

A rainy fall Sunday. Nothing to do, nowhere to go. Flip on the TV. And what do I see?

Candlepins for Dollars, on the WB.

I couldn't believe it. Candlepin bowling on TV? Didn't that die out in 1985 or so? Right around the time the candlepin alleys started to slowly fade?

But still, seeing Candlepins for Dollars brought back some memories. On rainy Sundays when I was growing up, there were a few givens: Davey & Goliath, the late morning service at Our Lady's in The Lake, and Candlepins for Cash. A rainy Sunday trinity for many a Catholic child in the 1970s, in these parts ...

And who knows, maybe candlepin bowling is making a comeback.

Related Borderline musing:

Old School: Candlepin Bowling Alleys

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Borderline,

I am new to the Waltham area, and was wondering if you could suggest some good bowling alleys around here. I would love a place to go relax, drink a beer, and have a good game (not candlepin though). Thanks for any help you could give me!

-also a Waltham/Newton Border resident

6:19 AM  
Blogger Borderline said...

That's a tough request, if you are looking for normal bowling alleys. I don't know if I've ever seen one around these parts, although there must be one or two to cater to bowling "expats" from other parts of the country. The only place I've played normal bowling is in New York State.

I'd say give Candlepins a try ... it's a lot of fun, even if you have never played before. You can really hurl those little balls down the alley, in a way that would break your wrist if you tried with the large balls. Although the candlepin alleys are drying up, a reader told me about a place in Needham and I've been to a nice alley on Rte 9 west in Natick -- fairway Bowling at 721 Worcester road (rte 9). Can't remember if beer was served, but there's an Italian restaurant right next door (Vinnie Testas) with a great bar for after the game.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Becca said...

Lanes & Games on Route 2 in Cambridge has Candlepin on one floor, and regular bowling on another floor. You take Route 2 almost all the way to Alewife- it's right near the burnt remains of 'Faces' nightclub.

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you both for your suggestions!!! Becca, do you know how crowded Lanes and Games gets on the weekends? Is there usually a long wait for the regular bowling?

-W/N Border Res.

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, Borderline - I love Fairway Bowling in Natick! When I was a kid, my parents always took me to see the Christmas animatronics there - and I still go every year to this day for tradition - have you seen them???

-W/N Border Resident

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home